Saturday, April 23, 2005

A Lot Like Love

I was too embarassed to tell people that I was going to this movie, on opening night no less, let alone tell them that I was excited to go see this movie. I mean, it's Ashton Kutcher, and he has officially reached the level of over-exposed celebrity where he is no longer goofy, or funny, or interesting, or even all that cute anymore. He is just annoying. Like Jennifer Lopez annoying. With all the dating of Demi Moore, and the white-wearing Kabbalah stuff, and the whole Punk'd thing, and the bizarro competition between him and Bruce Willis over who can be Puff Daddy's new best friend? It's officially obnoxious.

And yet, there I was at the movie theatre on opening night actually really excited to see this movie. It looked so cute in the previews! And you know what? It didn't disappoint. It is cute. It's not original, or particularly smart. The development of a relationship was vaguely When Harry Met Sally. And the deaf brother supporting character was very Four Weddings and a Funeral. So it's familiar territory - and I think that's the point. It's supposed to feel familiar.

But Peet and Kutcher are surprisingly charming together, and the way it all worked out succeeded in giving me the warm fuzzies. If you need a rom-com fix, this will do just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home